Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Unemployment and people with ADHD

It's hard for a lot of us to keep jobs. For myself, I've been fired from three of my six last jobs for being late. It's something so stupid: given I take my medicine on time, my actual work performance is fine; but I soon stop caring exactly what time I get to work. I think this is because, after a while of taking stimulants, you lose motivation. You really do. Even a day off of taking meds, otherwise called a drug holiday or a drug vacation, will refuel my motivation. Sure, I won't be able to *concentrate* and probably won't be able to finish whatever it is I set to do, but that valued motivation comes trickling back.

It's such a double-edged sword. I can take the medicine and go through my day like a robot, or I can skip it, get motivated and not be able to do needed work. I can't win. None of us can!

No comments:

Post a Comment