Monday, December 15, 2008

So Why Do I Hate ADHD?

Unlike a lot of people, I don't consider ADHD a blessing. I consider it a curse. A dirty, nasty curse that has all but ruined my life. Sure, life is what you make of it, but this - attention deficit disorder, or for the more politically correct among us, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or for the more frustrated among us, I CAN'T PAY ATTENTION TO ANYTHING! - has made everything much more difficult than it would be for a NORMAL person.

I tried being positive. I did! I tried thanking whoever for this "gift" and being thankful that I've always been a bit weird and unique and therefore fun, but you can't go through life just having fun. At some point, we have to get a job, we have to finish school, we have to settle down, and we have to stick with our responsibilities. ADD has given me procrastination and a profound lack of motivation in every sense. However, I can easily play video games for hours upon end.

And don't get me STARTED about the supposed treatment options. Yes, they are godsends, but let me tell you about each one I've tried. Adderall just made me more tired. Concerta (like Adderall for adults) made me hate everything and sent me into a rage. And Dexedrine, otherwise called Dextroamphetamine, is what I currently take. I feel good for a while, but eventually just wallow in my depression and desire to be cut off from other people.

I. CAN'T. WIN.

In this blog, I'll be writing original content, sharing articles of interest, and talking about supposed cures and reviewing them. Feel free to comment on anything and e-mail me anytime.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way...
    I took concerta, strattera and now take dexedrine.

    Dexedrine is great when it is working but when it wears off my inattentiveness and procrastination gets way worse, which in turn makes it really hard for me to go to sleep on time...
    I find that if I exercise as a add on to the meds, I feel much better and capable, but it is really difficult to have a consistent exercise schedule but I am trying to build that right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey im 16 and to deal woth my ADHD I smoked pot it made me feel so much better unfortunatley my parents dont believe I have ADHD and that ADHD is a lie that lazy stupid kids such as myself use. But I had to quit because my parents believe all the propaganda about weed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't tried it yet, try vyvanse, it's what I take for my ADHD. I have little to no side effects, besides an occasional dry mouth. It also lasts pretty long. I went from a solid F student to straight A's, I also feel like my ADHD is weaker when I wears off. Anyways, hope you find some relief.

    ReplyDelete