Monday, December 15, 2008

How I Was Diagnosed With ADHD

Okay, so picture this. I was 20 years old. I've always known, for my whole life, that something was a little "off". I always known that I'm an intelligent person. However, something was always... not right.

Not being able to concentrate on even simple things.

Having that thousand-yard-stare in class when I should be paying attention.

Not having the motivation to do things that I KNOW I should be doing.

Failing in school, even though I'm NOT DUMB!

Being late to work almost daily.


Now, as a child in school, I didn't really care. Sure, my bad grades CONCERNED me when my mother yelled at me, but it's not like I had to pay my own bills or be otherwise concerned with my own well being. My parents did that for me. As selfish and foolish as that sounds, that's how I was.

Then, a rude awakening...

Having to get a job, go to college, and be accountable for myself.

I found it hard not to fail.

And I kept failing.

One day, I saw a commercial for some ADHD medication. It started out with the old spiel.. "Do you find yourself lacking motivation? Can't pay attention?" And so on. I, shocked, actually paid attention and realized THIS IS ME. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE!!!!!!

It rang clear as a bell.. so I went to my doctor and voiced my concern. However, due to rampant abuse among people my age, I had to see a therapist before I could get medicine to participate in therapy.

The therapist talked to my parents and even a former teacher. He looked at my old report cards. From there, the evidence stacked up pretty cut-and-dry: I had ADHD.

I started taking Concerta.

The first day I took, Concerta, I cried. I will never forget it. I could concentrate. I could listen. I could remember. This gift, given to normal people, was finally mine to share and embrace. And I did, and continue to do so to a degree. But this medicine doesn't come without drawbacks, which I'll be explaining in other entries.

This diagnosis has been a miracle and a curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment